Saturday 22 May 2010

The nomadic ways of Mongolians

I once asked my student, how come drivers in Mongolia are so impatient? And why isit that they don't follow the traffic regulations?

This is what I got from him:
Mongolians used to be nomadic. They travel by horses most times and they make the rules as they go. They go wherever they want to go and whenever they want to go. Since there were no proper roads back then, they were the king of the roads or pathways or whatever they call it. With modernization and more traffic, they still used to ride like that only now, with a car. They are impatient and wouldn't give way to other vehicles. Thus, the 3 lanes for 5 cars.

The honking here is endless and is especially worse with the buses. They will swerve left and right and with a busload full of people. Reminds me of the time we had our mini-buses. It was scary the first time I took the bus but now I got used to it.

I still remember too when back in Malaysia, people will rush to get onto the bus but for the past few year, I think people are starting to get in-line which I saw at the LRT station. It is a good practice and I am really happy that Malaysians are becoming more civilised.

The first time I took a bus here in Mongolia, I was nearly left out of the bus because I was not fast enough to get on it. I noticed, people here push their way through to get on regardless if there are people getting down from it. I observe and now, I too have learned the way of getting onto a bus. Its not that I am not courteous but if I let other people push me, I wouldn't be able to get on the bus. Becoming like a Mongolian now??? Maybe... hehehe

No comments: